I've Been Tagged
Hi. My name is John. I'm a...biblioholic. Fellow blogger Wade Tannehill has tagged me. And it has to do with books! So, here goes.
1. One book that changed your life: No Wonder They Call Him the Savior by Max Lucado. I can still remember where I was when Jeff Walling told me to go to a bookstore and get this book. My entire life kind of pivots on that moment.
2. One book that you've read more than once: The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard. I've internalized so much of this book that I find myself quoting bits of it without realizing it. I've probably read it four times and have practically underlined the entire book.
2. One book you'd want on a desert island: Thomas' Guide to Practical Shipbuilding (HT: G.K. Chesterton).
3. One book that made you laugh: The Book of Guys by Garrison Keillor. No one tells a story like Garrison Keillor.
4. One book that made you cry: The Gospel of Luke. Every time.
5. One book you wish had been written: Hearts and Minds: Raising Your Child with a Christian View of the World. Oh wait....
6. One book you wish had never been written: Mein Kampf by Adolph Hitler.
7. One book you're currently reading: The Voice of Jesus: Discernment, Prayer and the Witness of the Spirit by Gordon T. Smith. Here's how the book starts: "Every Christian should be able to answer two questions. First, what do you think Jesus is saying to you at this point in your life, in the context of the challenges and opportunities you are facing? Second (and just as critical), what indicators give you some measure of confidence that it is indeed Jesus speaking to you rather than someone or something else?" I was hooked from the very first paragraph.
8. One book you've been meaning to read: A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren. I know. I know. Everyone else has read it already. I just don't see what the big deal is. I have it sitting here, and I'll get around to it. I promise.
9. Tag five others: I'm not sure I have more than five readers, so -- if you're reading this and you have a blog -- consider yourself tagged.